Have you heard of the healthy meeting pledge?
It’s a pledge, created by National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity, and dozens of organizations have taken it. In honor of January being National Healthy Weight Awareness Month…now is a great time to start!
Most meetings and conferences have low physical activity. With obesity and heart disease on the rise, it is time to reimagine standard meeting practices. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel to be successful at making your events healthier. The pledge is divided into two levels—standard and superior healthy meetings.
The majority of your future events will likely adhere to the standard level, which offers easy alternatives:
- Encourage standing and stretching within the meeting space
- Replace some chairs with exercise balls
- Offer raised tables for standing
- Break up sitting time periodically
- Lead short physical activity breaks
- Water is the default beverage
- No full-calorie, sugar-sweetened drinks
- Healthier condiments and dressings, and serve them on the side
- Desserts cut into small portions at dinner; only fruit to finish at lunch
- No candy bowls in the meeting space
- Avoid fried foods
- Reduce waste and packaging
- Recycling bins available
- Handouts on flash drives or online only
- Smoke-free meeting facilities only
Whether you follow some of these suggestions or all of them, it is sure to have a positive impact on any audience!
For more information on booking speakers, visit eaglestalent.com or contact us at 1.800.345.5607