An expert in the art and science of influence, Stevie Ray has been a nationally recognized keynote speaker and corporate trainer for over thirty years. Stevie is the longest running national columnist for the Business Journal Newspapers and is the author of eleven books, including The Roadmap to Influence. He is a guest lecturer for the University of Minnesota and the University of St. Thomas MBA program. A professional comedian, Stevie is the Executive Director of Stevie Ray’s Improv Company in Minneapolis, a company that has provided training and entertainment since 1989. Stevie is the first person in the country to have designed his own college degree to study the psychology of humor.
This is Stevie’s signature keynote. In it, Stevie teaches you how the brain accepts or rejects ideas, as well as hands-on techniques to help you influence others toward positive outcomes. Everyone from the CEO to the newest intern owes their success to the ability to influence others; whether it is pitching ideas to clients, motivating staff, or connecting with customers, it doesn’t matter how well you know your job if you cannot positively connect with others.
1) Capture attention: learn the neuroscience behind the Approach/Withdraw Response, and how to use this response to your advantage.
2) Create connection: learn the two main methods of persuasion, and how to determine which to use in a given environment.
3) Motivate action: getting agreement is worthless unless action is taken. Learn the simple methods to ensure that momentum leads to outcomes.
Too many leaders are trained in their profession, but not in how to garner support for initiative, or to motivate staff to do their best work. In this exciting session, Stevie Ray illuminates the various styles of leadership, and how each applies to specific teams and situations.
1) The nine recognized styles of leadership, and the types of teams and situations best suited for each.
2) The neuroscience involved in leader-follower dynamics.
3) The psychological trigger words that either motivate others or cause greater resistance.
It is one thing to influence those who are cooperative, but what do you do for those in-your-face moments when tensions are high? For this unique session, Stevie not only draws on his expertise in influence, but also on his over 40 years of martial arts training (he was actually a celebrity bodyguard at one time). Learn to de-escalate tense situations, and create positive results.
1) How the Amygdala Response of the brain affects emotions and responses.
2) De-escalation techniques to maintain control of challenging interactions.
3) Techniques to move from stalemate to forward momentum, all while keeping the relationship intact.
“Stevie shares knowledge in such a fun, invigorating way that the participants aren’t even aware they are learning. I think the fact that I’m still thinking about some of the things that he said and am still processing them is a huge testament to the effectiveness of the program. I conduct the training in Cargill and I only wish I were half as effective! I’d have Stevie Ray at all my sessions.”
— Cargill Law
“I have never had a training seminar that received this kind of response. It definitely had a positive measurable effect on our employees’ performance.”
— Blue Cross Blue Shield Minnesota
“You were great! I gained self-awareness. I didn’t realize how often I use negating words or lead a conversation down an inappropriate path.”
— RBC Dain Rauscher
“In my position, getting my message across is as important as the development of the message/strategy itself. That’s where Stevie Ray came in. Stevie taught me to be an effective communicator and over the last half dozen years or so of my career this skill has been the most important one in terms of my success.”
— Sun Life Financial
“In 40 years in business, your presentation was one of the most instructional I’ve seen. You used your sense of
humor to keep us interested and pumped up while you slid in important messages about leadership. It was a
great, great presentation and certainly the highlight of the weekend. Thanks again.”
— Executive Director Goodman Allen & Donnelly, PLLC
“Your session was everything we hoped it would be and more! Your style and delivery ensure that the message
will be remembered. You’re a pleasure to work with and a professional from beginning to end.”